Phase 1 is Almost Done
As you approach CCHS, you will see that Phase 1 of our 3-phase plan is nearly complete. Check out the new varsity baseball and softball fields and the six beautiful new tennis courts! Thanks to everyone for your patience during construction!
- The Regional School District and Town entered into a final Community Use Agreement on October 14, 2014. Read it here.
- We address the NBC news story regarding the safety of artificial turf - as well as other common questions - on our FAQ. View it here.
- The Carlisle Mosquito published a story about our plans to seek CPA funding in Carlisle on October 1, 2014. Read it here.
- We submitted an application for $670,000 in CPA funding to the Concord CPC on September 25, 2014. View it here.
- We met with the Carlisle Recreation Commission on September 24, 2014 as a first step toward application for CPA funds from Carlisle.
- We held a groundbreaking ceremony in typhoon conditions on July 28, 2014.
- After two bid rounds, we awarded a contract to RAD Sports of Rockland, MA, a firm specializing in the construction of high quality sports facilities. RAD's price was $1.56 million - thanks to the Carlisle Mosquito for this update.
- Concord Town Meeting voted to appropriate $433,000 for Phase 1 construction on May 5, 2014. Thanks Concord!!
- The Town and School District are negotiating a Community Use Agreement - review the draft here.
- We need your help to make this happen! Consider a donation today - thanks!
- The ZBA granted our special permit on April 17, 2014 marking a successful conclusion to our permitting process.
- The Regional School Committee voted on April 16, 2014 to award us a 5-year lease to implement our renovation plan - review it here.
- Thanks to a partnership with the Doug White Memorial Sports & Recreation Fund, donations to our project are tax deductible as of April 1, 2014.
- Share our new informational flyer with your family, neighbors, team or organization!
- We submitted a response to the District's RFP for lease of real property on March 28, 2014 - download it here.
- We are garnering the support of our Town boards! Town Meeting Article 36 - which will provide $433,000 in CPA funding to the project - has been endorsed by the FinCom, Recreation Commission, and Board of Selectmen.
- After two months of intensive engineering, on February 5, 2014 our consultants filed a Notice of Intent with the Natural Resources Commission. The plan was presented to the NRC on February 19. You can read it here.
- The Community Preservation Committee voted on December 16, 2013 to allocate $433,000 toward Phase 1 of our project. Read details here.
- The School Committee approved our plan on December 10, 2013 and authorized us to move to the next stage of planning. Read their motion here.
- The Carlisle Mosquito published a comprehensive summary of our most recent presentation to the School Committee on December 2, 2013. You can read it here.
- A complete copy of Gale Associates' "CCRHS Athletic Complex Renovation Plan" can be downloaded here.
A major renovation of the recreation facilities at CCHS is being planned. CCHS has extensive outdoor athletic facilities where 7,000+ high school and youth athletes practice and play each year. The inventory of existing assets includes the lower grass fields used by the baseball, softball, soccer, lacrosse, field hockey, and football programs; a lighted game field used for Friday Night football games, tournament lacrosse games, and graduation each spring; and five lighted tennis courts that have been home to many State Champion teams. Unfortunately, the tennis courts have been removed and some of the facilities have fallen into disrepair, giving us an opportunity to create a substantially safer playing environment.
CC at Play, Inc. is a not-for-profit organization created by local citizens who came together in hopes of creating a better field complex at CCHS. We are parents, sports people and concerned citizens. Our vision is comprehensive and includes:
- Phase 1
Construction of six new tennis courts
Renovation and upgrade of the varsity softball and baseball fields
- Phase 2
Installation of synthetic turf at the game field to accommodate football, soccer, lacrosse, and field hockey
Construction of an accessible ½-mile walking track around the perimeter of the lower fields
Replacement of existing game field lighting with energy efficient lighting
Construction of a new concessions stand with bathrooms and storage
- Phase 3
Construction of a full-sized multi-sport grass field at the top of the hill
Construction of an amphitheater at the new school's community entrance
The addition of accessible walkways in each phase and other amenities (including bathrooms) will result in a significant aesthetic and functional upgrade to an important community asset. It is important to emphasize that while there are new elements in the vision (e.g., the amphitheater and a new concessions building), this is primarily a renovation of existing facilities.
In the spring of 2013 CC at Play hired Gale Associates of Weymouth, a preeminent athletic facilities design and engineering firm, to develop a Renovation Plan for the CCHS athletic campus. That plan, which addresses design, accessibility, maintenance, and scheduling and other important aspects, was approved by the School Committee in December 2013 and CC at Play was authorized to proceed with permitting, engineering, and development of legal frameworks to make this public/private partnership a success for our community.
We are committed to engaging as many Concord and Carlisle athletes, parents, students, and the general public as possible. Although the first phase of planning is complete, there are still many open issues to work through and we invite your ideas and participation. We will continue to post regular updates, minutes of our board meetings, and seek direct feedback and suggestions from the public.
We want CCHS to be a great place to play. We want this project to have broad community support and deliver broad community benefit. We thank you for your support.